The Department of Environmental Services (DES) of Arlington County is looking for a high performing, technically competent, and environmentally conscious Administrative service provider join our progressive team at the Solid Waste Bureau (SWB). The SWB provides and regulates waste and recycling services for the county’s estimated population of 230,000 and is actively seeking strategies to reduce waste generation in order to meet the county’s zero waste goal. The Administrative Services Manager defines operational and programmatic topics and generates innovative ideas for developing or improving existing systems within the SWB. The incumbent will also lead a small team to provide critical SWB support in the areas of administration, budget, performance management, business intelligence, technology integration and strategic plan execution and reports to the SWB chief.
The special tasks include:
- Perform business intelligence, quality assurance and performance management tasks for the Bureau using the collected data to formulate recommendations to SWB leadership;
- Manage the implementation of the Office’s Strategic Plan, including tracking and managing the completion of the Action Points listed;
- Providing centralized administrative and human support to the SWB, including coordinating the recruitment and onboarding of new staff, hiring a significant temporary worker during the leaf-gathering season, and managing the office’s time and attendance and payroll tasks through the county’s Human Resources Information System (HRIS);
- Providing centralized financial management for the office, including developing and monitoring SWB budget, managing office purchase requests and P-cards, and billing and collecting fees for SWB services;
- Responding to customer inquiries through the Arlington County’s Government Response and Memorandum System (GRAMS);
- Coordinating technology support and new technology integration for the office;
- Coordination of safety observation tours and management of driving records and drug test lists;
- Training and coaching of SWB management in relation to administrative, financial and human resources policies and procedures; and
- Supervision of an administrative technician II, a leading craftsman IV and an administrative technician I.
The ideal candidate will have strong personal environmental ethics, attention to detail, excellent oral and written communication, and knowledge of Microsoft Excel. Along with demonstrating a collaborative approach to problem solving and the ability to lead an effective team while strengthening relationships with partner agencies.
As a Preferred Employer, Arlington County offers a generous benefit package. For further information, click here.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, environmental management or a related field; and
- Two years of increasingly responsible experience in program administration and / or administration that includes the use of data analysis and business intelligence.
Substitution: Year after year, additional relevant experience can be substituted for the educational requirement.
Desirable: Applicants with experience in one or more of the following areas may be preferred:
- Development, documentation and administration of business processes and procedures including customer service;
- Implementation of performance management systems and metrics;
- Working with budget management and reporting systems;
- Use business intelligence software and dashboards (Power BI, etc.); and or
- Education and / or experience with sustainability principles, especially with regard to the Zero Waste Management philosophy.
The applicant must have a valid driver’s license or obtain it at the time of appointment, or the applicant must have the ability and willingness to use alternative means of transportation to perform assigned duties and responsibilities in locations other than the primary workplace. If the applicant has or is acquiring a driver’s license, the applicant must authorize Arlington County to obtain it or the applicant must provide a copy of the applicant’s official driving license. Every job offer can be made dependent on a positive review of the applicant’s driving documents.