Press release from CSUSB Palm Desert:
January 21, 2021
The Palm Desert Campus in Cal State San Bernardino offers a Hotel Management Certificate to educate and train the hospitality workforce in Coachella Valley. The online program, offered under the guidance of the Faculty of Hospitality and Business Management, runs from May 3rd to October 3rd. 29
“The hospitality and tourism industries have seen record growth in the past decade,” said Joe Tormey, director of the hospitality management program on the CSUSB Palm Desert campus. “While the current pandemic is having an impact on work and personal life, it also provides an opportunity for professional development to gain further education in an industry that is poised to take off.”
No prerequisites or degrees are required for the certificate, and the program can be completed in six months of six courses (four weeks per course). The certificate program is also approved by CalJobs if eligible individuals can receive grants to cover all costs.
The courses prepare students for the following certification exams: Food Protection Manager Certificate, required in California; Revenue management; Certified Hotel Industry Analytics (CHIA); and the Google Analytics certificate.
The courses include:
- Hospitality Operations provides an overview of hotels, restaurants, clubs and casinos. Management tasks, techniques, regulations and standard operating procedures are reviewed. Students also learn about the business of meetings and event planning.
- Human resource training and development in the virtual world, teaching teaching technologies, motivation, morality and human behavior, various theories and strategies for human resource management and productivity through examples of stress reduction and wellness in the workplace;
- Hygiene, Safety and Hygiene COVID-19 examines the effects on the health, safety and financial stability of families and businesses. This course includes training on five key areas of the exam, including basic food safety, personal hygiene, cross-contamination and allergens, time and temperature, and cleaning and hygiene with an emphasis on COVID-19 best practices.
- Revenue Management in Hospitality, which teaches the process of achieving maximum profitability through the use of business intelligence in relation to consumer behavior and increasing revenue. This course provides an overview of the principles of pricing, market segments, timing and seasonality, and supply and demand in hotels, restaurants and airlines.
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM), in which the relationships between guests and employees as well as the organizational processes are understood. Students learn about service culture, sales techniques, service gaps, and strategies for managing expectations and experiences in customer service. and
- Digital Marketing Strategies that introduce the basics of marketing in a digital context. The topic provides a framework for making decisions in an ever-changing digital marketing world that includes basic sales techniques. This course introduces Google Analytics to social media and Google certification exams.
The cost of the certificate program includes: $ 3,995 tuition including iPad (or $ 3,695 without an iPad) and $ 475 mandatory course materials. Financing is possible.
Further information on the certificate program can be found at: https://www.csusb.edu/pace/courses-programs/hospitality/hospitality-management-certificate.
The CSUSB Palm Desert Campus offers bachelor’s and master’s degrees, a doctorate in educational leadership as well as teaching certificates and certificates. With more than 1,600 students, it is the four-year public university of the Coachella Valley and plays an important role in the education and training of the region’s growing population.
For more information about the CSUSB Palm Desert Campus, please contact Mike Singer at the Strategic Communications Office at [email protected] or (760) 341-2883, ext 78107, or visit the campus website at www.csusb.edu/pdc.
This press release was produced by CSUSB Palm Desert. The views expressed here are the author’s own.