ECB appears into historic ‘offensive’ social media submit from second England participant

0
359

The England and Wales Cricket Board is investigating reports that a second English player posted historical “offensive material” the day after the bowler played Ollie Robinson has been suspended for past racist and sexist tweets.

Wisden said it uncovered a tweet with a racist term but “obscured” the identity of the player, who was under 16 at the time of publication.

In a statement, the ECB said the social media post had been “brought to our attention” and the Governing Body would make further comments “in due course”.

On Sunday, the ECB suspended Robinson, 27, from international cricket pending an investigation into tweets from 2012 and 2013.

He was removed from the squad for the second Test against New Zealand, which begins in Edgbaston on Thursday, and left England camp to return to his county of Sussex.

On Monday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson supported the Minister of Culture’s remarks that the ECB went “over the top” in Robinson’s suspension for decades of service.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan disagreed, saying the ECB “got it right”.

“You had to act,” said Vaughan the podcast by Tuffers and Vaughan.

“I know there was pressure from those in power that they might ask him to leave the game after the first day and not play for the remaining four days – I thought that was a bit of an exaggeration.”

Vaughan added it was “a serious problem” that Robinson – who was making his test debut at Lord’s when the tweets were revealed – had to learn from.

“Do we feel sorry for Ollie Robinson? I don’t think we can because he was an 18-year-old boy,” said Vaughan.

“Of course we all did things when we were younger – and I’m sure Phil [Tufnell] and I’ll look back and think that we’re not so happy with a lot of the things we did back then – and you must have time to come back as a better person.

“We believe that Ollie Robinson is a better man now than it was nine years ago, but if the ECB had done nothing and allowed Robinson to play at Edgbaston on Thursday, a different group of people would have come who would not have come to the ECB. ” do anything. “

Vaughan said he “hopes” to make Robinson available again to play Test cricket in the India series in August.

“I would be concerned if I didn’t feel like people are changing and getting a second chance,” he added.

“I think Robinson will get a second chance and play Test Match cricket again.

“He’s under this watch. You can be rehabilitated. You may have a period in your life where you don’t necessarily have the right views and you may not make the right comments.

“You can be educated. There is a lot to do in our game and in society.”

Vaughan says the revelation of Robinson’s historic social media posts will lead the player to become an example in the future.

“It won’t surprise me if in a couple of weeks he’ll be spokesman for a lot of the younger players going through the ECB’s support program, both girls and boys aged 15 and over,” he said.

“He could be the spokesman for this type of child, saying, ‘Be very careful what you do because it will always come back’.”